Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Grand Canyon State


Arizona is a band I discovered a little over a week ago and can not stop listening to. The band was founded by Ben Wigler, Alex Hornbake and Nick Campbell, but has since grown into a 5 piece adding Drew Dunn and James DeDakis. They self-released a 4-song EP entitled "The Sun and the Room" and their debut full length entitled "Welcome Back Dear Children" is due in approximately two weeks. I recently contacted Ben in regards to the history of the band and it's influences.

Regarding History:
"This EP literally captures the birth of Arizona. I had met Nick a grand total of once and though Alex and I are best friends from middle school, we hadn't made music together in a while. Nick and Alex drove up from Georgia to bring me some recording gear I left with Alex the summer before. Nick said he'd play some drums and Alex bass on some "solo" music I had written. We tried; it sucked. The two were dismayed but I realized the reason it blew so hard was because we needed to try and write together." Over the next four days the band recorded "The Sun and the Room". 6 months later they moved to New York to give Arizona their full attention.

Regarding Influences:
"Influences, well the three founding members (Alex, Nick, Ben) all share a bond of being huge metallica fans. We also like Nirvana, Neil Young, we grew up on Green Day, Simon and Garfunkle, the Beatles. Nick comes from a background of stuff like Helmet and was highly influenced by Jeff Buckley, Alex from a more punk/indie background, and dorky sounding as it is, I'd say my influences are a mix of Japanese video game music and beatles. I also love elliot smith and think we have a lot in common, but The Sun and the Room was done before I even heard him. James (drums) and Drew (guitar/keys) aren't metallica fans but are rabid for Smashing Pumpkins who I also really like. James is in love with the beatles, Drew is obsessed with SP. We all love Soundgarden and our guitar sound is influenced by My Bloody Valentine, I'd say. Nick plays a little like J Mascis from what I've heard, I have spent zero time listening to J Mascis. "

For the record, I've never felt the need to contact a band, but after hearing a few of their songs I had to find a way to get more. The band is currently looking for label support.
"The main thing we are looking for in a label is someone who is going to be very supportive of the idea of putting out a lot of material and staying out of our way creatively unless they want to be actually creative with us, which we would love but aren't holding our breath for. We plan on being Arizona for a decade if we can and have the material, will power, dedication, and creative juice to probably put out an album a year as well as several little things. We also have ambitions to produce other bands at the creative level".

Judging from Ben's previous music project Young Idiot, he seems to be a very prolific writer. I am eagerly awaiting the release of "Welcome Back Dear Children" and HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check this band out.

MP3 - Jubilee - from the EP The Sun and the Room.

Arizona also have a couple shows coming up:

6.30.06 (Friday)Mercury Lounge, be there at 8pm. http://www.mercuryloungenyc.com/
7.8.06 (Saturday)Pianos, 8pm. http://www.pianosnyc.com/
7.28.06 (Friday)The Trash Bar, 11pmhttp://www.thetrashbar.com/
8.18.06 (Friday)The Trash Bar - OUR CD RELEASE PARTY!!!!! - 11pmwww.thetrashbar.com

r.d.

10 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

Nice post. Very well put together. I must admit I was a little surprised when I read their influences. I guess Im trying be too indie. Who really doesn't love a little master of puppets in the morning.

Thanks RD.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the MP3. I love this band.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet... Thanks, I've really been enjoying Splintering. Can't wait to hear this

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never went thru a Metallica phase. I think I missed out on some part of my childhood. I was suprised at some of their influences as well. Especially My Bloody Valentine - they seem young, nice to know they can still appreciate Kevin Shields.

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, the ep is really good. The first song The Sun and the Room is probably my favorite right now.

Did you order yours?

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Arizona is great! I am really excited to hear the new album. Thanks for this song. Its a little different than say surving the savior and splintering, but I like it.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah RD I ordered mine. I am super excited to get it. The guys in the band are super nice and they still have some copies available for those of you out there who wish to purchase it. Just go to www.arizonatheband.com and contact the band and they will tell you how to purchase. I'll be looking for it next week. Until then thanks for the song.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good, I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks.

Metallica????

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone have an idea of when a full fledged tour may happen. We'd love to have down here in florida!

Love the mp3 thanks. And tell the guys best of luck. Love the music

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding your blog about football news uk. The best site for football news uk is **http://www.freepremiership.com**. http://www.freepremiership.com is the top free osccer website in the world and features the latest Premiership club news, fixtures, scores, scorers, radio streams, tv streams and lots more football links.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home