Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A teacher and his deceiving songs


I gotta say that this is gonna be a short post. For those of you who don't know I am a 4th grade mathematics teacher. Yeah that's right, out there saving the world one knucklehead at a time. For the record, I absolutely love my job and I wouldn't change it for the world. Anyway, I bring this up because I started school on Tuesday (we have four days of planning and the kids return August 7th) and life is gonna be a little wild for a little bit. But the other mirror (RD) is gonna hold down the fort over here at the two mirrors.

Anyway I was driving to work today listening to Control by Pedro the Lion, and track five, Progress, came on. For those of you who know that song it starts off really convoluted and messy. It sounds like it was recorded super indie and then about 50 seconds in these big drums kick in and the recording is great. It then reminded me of another song who starts off like it was recorded in the basement and was intended to be a demo of some sort, yet then kicks in like it was recorded with some of the best equipment and has a really big sound. That track is Title Track from Death Cab for Cutie. If you can think back to the first time you heard that song, I know I thought well this recording sucks. While this change is a little more subtle than Pedro the lion when it kicks in around 1:40, you understand.

Check them out

MP3--Pedro the Lion--Progress

MP3--Death Cab for Cutie--Title Track

So this leads me to your challenge. Are there other songs that I am forgetting that are structured similarly to those two above. As a matter of fact, I am sure that there are I just can't think of them right now. So leave a message in the comments if you can think of another track structured like this. Remember, I'm a teacher.

On a somewhat related note, if you go back and read the comments from my last post, Cash has an interesting connection with these two bands that I did not think of when I thought of this post. Again you should check out these two Cash related sites

Also Jeremy Enigk has released two MP3's from his new album on his website. Check them out and someday soon, I'll give my opinion.

ZC (It wasn't as short as I thought)

6 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of all the songs off Control you pick Progress?

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

Um it fit the theme. Did you even read the post? Come on chris, chris. Come on

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I read the post... But Chris C'mon. That's probably my least favorite song on the album. I'm just cranky lately - which is why I haven't posted. But tonight I will - I kind of promise.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, I just read my own comment and finally realised we are a Homo-sexual blog site. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

i love you man. You coming tomorrow? Whiffle ball, beer, and food. Come on chris.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should be there. I might be there a little late - I have to go home and let my dog out. I wish I could bring her, she would love to play some wiffle ball.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home