Friday, July 21, 2006

ROCKTOBER


I'm Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's only July, but October looks like it's going to be a great month in music.

The Decemberists are scheduled to release their major label debut The Crane Wife on 10/03 on Capitol Records. The album is based on a tragic Japanese folk tale. The group enlisted Death Cab For Cutie's Chris Walla and Seattle mainstay Tucker Martine to man the decks.

1 The Crane Wife 3
2 The Island:Come and SeeThe Landlord's DaughterYou'll Not Feel the Drowning
3 Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)
4 O Valencia!
5 The Perfect Crime #2
6 When the War Came
7 Shankill Butchers
8 Summersong
9 The Crane Wife 1 & 2
10 Sons and Daughters


MP3 The Decemberists - The Tain Part 1 (Demo) - courtesy of the Decemberist's MySpace page.


Bright Eyes is scheduled to release a b-side rarities compilation on 10/24 entitled Noise Floor. on Saddle Creek. I was hoping for more unreleased tracks but they only provided two.

01 Mirrors and Fevers
02 I Will Be Grateful for This Day
03 Trees Get Wheeled Away
04 Drunk Kid Catholic
05 Spent on Rainy Days
06 The Vanishing Act
07 Soon You Will Be Leaving Your Man
08 Blue Angels Air Show
09 Weather Reports
10 Seashell Tale*
11 Bad Blood*
12 Amy in the White Coat
13 Devil Town
14 I've Been Eating (For You)
15 Happy Birthday to Me (Feb. 15)
16 Motion Sickness
17 Act of Contrition
18 Hungry for a Holiday**
19 When the Curious Girl Realizes She Is Under Glass Again**
20 Entry Way Song**
21 It's Cool, We Can Still Be Friends**

* previously unreleased ** bonus tracks for the vinyl

MP3 - Bright Eyes - The Trees Get Wheeled Away

My Morning Jacket is schedule to release Okonokos, a live double cd. More importantly though (and keeping with the October theme), they a scheduled to release a DVD of the show on 10/31. My Morning Jacket's live show is truly amazing and although i'm sure the DVD won't completely capture the live experience completely, it should be on everyone's wish list. The movie will also be screened in select cities. I can guarantee it will not screen anywhere close to me.

CD track list

Disc one:
Wordless Chorus
It Beats 4 U
Gideon
One Big Holiday
I Will Sing You Songs
Lowdown
The Way That He Sings
What A Wonderful Man
Off The Record
Golden
Lay Low

Disc two:
Dondante
Run Thru
At Dawn
Xmas Curtain
O Is The One That Is Real
I Think I'm Going To Hell
Steam Engine
Dancefloors
Anytime
Mahgeeta

MP3 MyMorning Jacket - At Dawn (live) from Okonokos


Jeremy Enigk (former Sunny Day Real Estate and current Fire Theft frontman) is scheduled to release World Waits on 10/17 on Enigk’s own Lewis Hollow Recordings. It was been 10 years since he released Return of the Frog Queen, a truly amazing record. I'm kind of bummed that Alcohol and Asleep Under Last Week's News didn't make the cut...

1. A New Beginning
2. Been Here Before
3. River To Sea
4. City Tonight
5. Cannons
6. Damien Dreams
7. Wayward Love
8. Dare A Smile
9. World Waits
10. Burn

MP3 Jeremy Enigk - Burn (live)

r.d.

5 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without being too cheesy, it's good to have you back.

Without being to mean, you took way too long.

I am downloading these songs now and I'll give some thoughts in the morning.

ZAK (too un-indie for lowercase)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Cash said...

that picture of enigk looks like the photos that you took in middle school where they make you pose on a barrel or something with a "scene-scape" painted on a hanging canvas.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

that jeremy picture is freakin hilarious. I'd swear it wasn't him if RD hadn't posted it.

The Jacket song is amazing. Does the decemberists myspace page have all the songs from the tain tracked out? I guess I could just go look. Eh

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

That Jeremy pic kind of reminds me of Brian Arnold

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The group enlisted Death Cab For Cutie's Chris Walla and Seattle mainstay Tucker Martine to man the decks.

Great. I was looking forward to a new Postal Service-sounding album.

Also, guess who turns thirty in two weeks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home