Monday, July 10, 2006

The Track Sevens


So Rd and I have this ongoing (for at least 5 years now) discussion about how you can always tell how good a record is by track 7 on the cd. (Rd hinted at it with his Canada Posts #2.) We have gone as far as to say that for most records the best track is song seven. At the very least it is a good song. I have yet to find too many records that I love that I don't enjoy track seven. Anyway, we have many theories about why this phenomenon occurs and we will undoubtedly share them in the upcoming days. But for now here are a number of songs (track sevens) from records that I love. I hope you all will leave your comments as to which track sevens I forgot and any track sevens that disprove this theory. RD will be posting some soon too. We all miss you man.

The Lovely Feathers--Photocorners. This is a good place to begin, because this is undoubtedly the highlight of this record. I actually really enjoy The Lovely Feathers and I am anticipating their presence in a top ten of 2006 this year. I know we have posted this song before but I'm working on the track seven thing remember.

Pavement--Gold Soundz. Okay I know this is so NOT my territory. For those of you who don't' know, RD is our resident Pavement expert and you may argue that Range Life is better but I'll hold my ground on this one because for me, it is most likely my favorite Pavement song (insert the un-indie remarks below).

Mates of State--Nature and the Wreck. Another track we (I) have posted before here at the two mirrors. But for me it is proving the theory. However, this one is interesting because it is not characteristic of the entire album. Not at all. Yet it is the track that I find myself listening too most on Bring it Back.

Audio Explorations--Ginnie Springs. That's right. You could argue that I don't want to be a rock star is better, but this song has such a great feel to it. This record reminds me of a time when I was younger. For those of you who don't know them, now is the time in your life to enjoy the glory that is Audio Explorations.

The Boy Least Likely To--I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon to Your Star. I still really enjoy this record and this is my favorite track. You should be listening to The Boy Least Likely To.

The Arcade Fire--Wake Up. Can you even argue this one? I can't think of any song on this record that comes close and this is an amazing record. We all know the brillance of the Arcade Fire and this song is clearly their best.

Death Cab For Cutie--Company Calls. This may well have been the song that sparked this discussion many years ago. And some of you may argue that DCFC did better with Company Calls Epilogue and I'll listen to that argument. But where would the epilogue be without the original.

Bright Eyes--I Believe in Symmetry. Conversation over. One of my favorite records from last year and this is undoubtedly the highlight of the record. I mean when the change happens in this song, you know you are hooked. Conor did it right on this record and especially this song.

Bright Eyes--Napoleon's Hat. I've been looking for a reason to share this song with you all and in a strange turn of events, I realized that our theory may even be true for compilations. This song comes from the Lagniappe comp from Saddle Creek and you guessed it--track seven. Another amazing track from Bright Eyes.

Keep checking back as I hope this only sparks more conversation, and I imagine I will think of many more soon. ZC

4 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the shit is this about track seven, shleven, shfifty-five? Lots of albums don't even have track seven. Some albums have two track sevens? Thats my business.....

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

albums that don't have track sevens are usually called EPs. And you'll have to enlighten me into yur business about these albums with two track sevens captian anonymous

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Zak Champagne said...

thanks for the comments though--even though they dont'make much sense

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they are 77 tracks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home